About Me

Leeds, United Kingdom
I am a 20 year old Graphic and Communication Design student in my second year at Leeds University. I hope You like my little design blog introducing me and my graphic work. Mainly though to feature my own creations, or occasionally designs I really admire. If you do or don't like it or would like to give me tips, please feel free to follow, subscribe, like, message, etc. me. Would make me happy! Thanks for reading!

Monday 21 February 2011

Geometric tiling




The last lectures on one of my modules have been less about actual graphics and communication strategies, but about mathematical aspects of geometry in the area of tilings, e.g. Islamic tiling patterns in architecture.


Since it is part of an assignment for this module to create my own tiling pattern- which will seamlessly cover a plane without gap or overlap- I started researching and looking at some patterns and shapes I find interesting.


The first is an example similar to the ones we were shown in our lecture, exploring the variety and possibilities of what shapes can be created from just a few simple 3, 4, 5, and 6 sided shapes.



Below is a more complex Islamic pattern, which creates complex looking shapes by merely overlapping and intertwining larger shapes. 








Above and below are some patterns I personally prefer for the warm colour palette  and varied shapes. I find especially the 3D-implying cubes fascinating and inspiring for my assignment pattern.




No comments:

Post a Comment